Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sweet baby Biruk....

I had a super long post and now it doesn't seem at all significant. Poor Biruk just woke up after only an hour and a half of sleeping and he was hysterical. We finally calmed him by turning on the water in the tub (an old trick from when Conner was a baby). We gave him gas drops because he kept farting but I felt so bad for the little fella. He seemed so traumatized by whatever was going on and talking to him or looking at us was not helping. I really hope the little guy gets a good night sleep and is more relaxed in the morning. I have definitely decided the hardest part of this adoption is not understanding what Biruk needs. With Conner I understood most of it. It was stressful, overwhelming and crazy at times but I could figure most things out. He had colic and screamed from 5-10 every night. That was predictable. We figured out what helped to calm him and I also figured out what foods to not eat (breastfeeding). He slept through the nights, only to get up to eat (sometimes 3-5 times but he always snuggled up and went right back to sleep). With Biruk it's different. Instead I wonder if he's missing his nannies, his old language, smells, his crib, everything. It worries me. Definitely during the day he's our little champ. He loves to laugh and smile and I'm falling in love with him more and more every day. Conner has really taken a shine to him and I love listening to him talk to Biruk. Tonight at dinner he said "Hi Biruk, my little chunk". Then he told Nathan he was chunky. But, back to Biruk, he's such a little ham during the day and seems so peaceful. Then at night he seems to be struggling. Maybe he's teething, maybe it's gas, but maybe he's just sad. I've really been trying to take all of this into consideration because it does help with my patience and reminds me of how much I thought and prayed about this little guy before I even met him or knew he was ours. I hope the next week brings improvements and peace for Biruk.

I know after that story I shouldn't follow with something like this but I will. Today Nater had made us a big plate of nacho's and it looked so scrumptious. Well 2 bites into it and I have another one of my coughing fits (yes, it's gotten worse). I sprint to the bathroom (bladder control issues, more about that later) and next thing I know I puke all over the damn bathroom. I called for Nater and he is standing at the doorway looking at me with pity and all of the sudden I just start laughing. It must have been such a sight. Please let this god awful cough pass soon. It's been 2 weeks in the making and from what I've heard it may linger for a while. YUCK.

I'd better get some rest while I can. Happy Saturday to everyone. I promise this blog will become upbeat and humorous again. It just may take some time.
Sincerely,
Chatter

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh Chandra...Wish you'd get rid of your crappy cough!Any meds for it?
    Hopefully with time,you'll have Biruk figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pray for you, Chandra, that you guys didn't pick up a stomach bug like we all (except James) got here. The twins never threw up but they slept really badly while they had it. Sorry you're having a rough go. Hopefully, things will improve for you quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, hate to be so cliche, but you just gotta remember, this too will pass. When and how can you speed things up? Dunno. I can totally relate with (some of) your struggles. Alex was a pill about sleeping for a while and many a crabby blog post was created as a result. Venting over the www can be so cathartic, can't it?

    I can't imagine Biruk's moods are associated with anything other than trying to get adjusted, not that I really know anything about anything. He will get acclimated soon though, I'm sure, but that probably isn't all that comforting a thought when you are sick and tired and want him to get acclimated now.

    Bummer, what a waste of delicious-sounding nachos. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please, let's hear more about the bladder control problems! LOL

    ReplyDelete