Have you seen this movie yet? If not, PLEASE get to the store and rent it as soon as you can. Or if you are a netflix member, get online and watch it instantly. You won't regret it (or maybe you will because of how disturbing it is). There is so much to take in that I will definitely be watching it again. I learned of this movie from my moms group so tonight some of the gals came over and we sat down to watch it together. And throughout the movie I chanted "compound, compound, compound". And since my family lives hundreds of miles away, I want to start a compound with my new mom friends that I'm enjoying SO much! I love the idea of our own little community where we have a huge garden, cattle grazing, chickens running around, well water, possible solar/wind power yet the burden is shared by all. Is that too much to ask???? I think it's a splendid idea.
Carrie, an amazing mom and fellow blogger, is doing whole food for a whole year. I am not at all surprised by this and I'm sure she'll succeed. But it's made me realize how much more I need to improve my diet. I try to read labels, buy organic, buy local, eat less sugar and white flour, etc.. But I have such a long way to go. So this past month I've been reflecting on how I can improve and this movie is just the push I needed. NO more meat from the grocery store. I've found a local source for our chicken (I pick it up Thursday - yeah) and hopefully I can find someone for the beef once our current supply runs out. The farmers are out there, I just need to find them. But the biggest challenge is a GARDEN! I grew up with a garden but I've been so intimidated at the thought of actually having my own. And I know I want to start soon so I'm going to have to do a crash course on gardening asap. If anyone out there (ehem, Carrie, Tarah, Sarah, Amber) has some good tips please send them my way. And remember I'm a total beginner without a green thumb. I know I want to do the raised beds but that's about it... (aren't I off to such a great start?).
Anyway, please watch the movie if you haven't yet. There is so much more to be learned then just the food industry aspect. And please share your thoughts if you have seen it.
It's sitting somewhere in the middle of our Netflix instant queue, but we're having WAY too much fun with Dexter. If you haven't seen this series and you have Netflix. Watch it. You won't regret it, and you won't get any new 'to-do's' on your plate (pun intended).
ReplyDeleteI just watched it!! It was so good. We'll discuss tomorrow
ReplyDeletemojo
Hey! Funny...I saw a bit of it on Oprah last week. She had the guy who made it on there. If you liked the movie you might like the book they recommended by Alicia Silverstone. It's called "The Kind Diet" I'm sure you might not want to go as extreme as her, she's a Vegan, but she has recipes and tips in it about eating Organically. Think i might rent it! niki
ReplyDeleteI will check it out! Though, I don't need much convincing that much of what is on our grocery store shelves is horrible for our bodies. I got you email, and now that we've settled back in a bit, I'll email you today!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recommendation! Good luck with the garden : )
ReplyDeleteWe're sort of winging it on the garden. A garden in the sunny south is a bit different then the midwest. We'll talk - we had an alright first season....lots of melon!
ReplyDeleteWe did our first organic garden last spring and was a great stress reliever and the food was delicious!!! SUGAR SNAP PEAS ROCK!!!
ReplyDeleteIf I come out their this summer i can help get your garden around
ReplyDeleteChand you could also do it the easier (lazy) way which is what Bri and I are doing. We're ordering our fruit and veggies from a local organic farmer. We get a weekly share of both and we just pick it up. It's very simple and delicious. It also saves us from spending a summer trying to cultivate a garden.
ReplyDeleteKeel
Can I come live on the compound? I swear I will be a value add.
ReplyDeleteI watched the movie awhile back and came away shaking my head more so than normal. The story about the farmer who ended up in court because of cross pollination was despicable. And the chickens. Ugh.
I have found that the biggest hurdle when it comes to whole foods is just getting out of the habit. Once you have new habits it really isn't hard at all.
I'll shoot you my phone number so we can chat gardens and green living.
You can totally do a garden, it is fun and easy!!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
If you learn about gardening and post about it, I'd be psyched to learn the basics. I suck at it.
ReplyDelete