Friday, February 05, 2010
Ethiopia on my mind...
A gift we recieved from our agency is a dvd for Biruk that documents his time in Ethiopia while in their care. It has photo's, beautiful video of us meeting him for the first time, him playing, sleeping, bathing, eating, soaking the sun and being lathered up with lotion by his nannies, our goodbye ceremony and more. It's honestly priceless and one of the many reasons we chose the agency we did. We do not watch it nearly as much as we should so tonight Nathan and I curled up with the boys to watch it. Conner couldn't stop rubbing Biruk's arm, holding his hand and saying over and over "I missed you sooooo much while you were in Ethiopia". He even said "I'm sorry I'm cranky with you Biruk, I'll never let anything happen to you" and at that point (Biruk was in my lap, Conner curled up next to him) Biruk reached over, rubbed Conner's face with his hand and said "Yeah". I think it reminded Conner, as much as Nathan and I, how truly blessed we are to have Biruk in our family. And the look on Biruk's face when he saw Nathan and I on the video, meeting him for the first time, made my heart want to burst! He couldn't stop smiling and him and Landon just kept saying "mom, dad, mom, dad". And of course everytime Biruk saw himself he'd say "me, me". Conner usually likes crawling into bed by himself but tonight he requested Biruk sleep with him. I started by rocking Biruk and finally I took him over to Conner's bed, asked him if he'd like to sleep with him and he gave me an enthusiastic yes. The pair curled up together like 2 peas in a pod, Conner with a gratious smile on his face. Such a big understanding for such a little boy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
:) Such a blessing!
ReplyDeletetoo cute
ReplyDeleteKelsey
Chokes me up to be honest. So much life for two little boys to understand--precious that they have each other.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy we have that video for Biruk. BTW, I look FABULOUS in the video! Not at all like I'd been on a 25 hour plane ride the day before. Biruk is such a good boy for not being terrified when seeing his greasy, chubby dad for the first time.
ReplyDeleteNathan
That is so sweet : )
ReplyDeleteBeautiful brothers!
Thank you for sharing. It sure makes me miss my little boy who just turned 21. Time goes soooo fast.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful blessing of a moment reflecting on your beautiful blessing of a boy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Chand. Conner never ceases to show his intellect which spans far beyond his years. And Little Biruk!!!! I bet it was a tear jerker and a bittersweet reminder of how he came to join your family and bless your lives.
ReplyDeleteI love this reflection from a distance but in so many ways, from up close in ways one cannot anticipate when starting this journey. How amazing and beautiful. I anticipate being able to watch LeLe's video with his biggie sibs all together.
ReplyDeleteSooooo beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI would give my right arm to have that sort of documentation of my kids lives before me. Not so much Mariah, she was so little when I got her, I don't feel like much of her history is lost. Evan, on the other hand. He came to the orphanage when he was 6 months or 18 months depending on which records you believe and stayed there for 3 years. I don't know a thing about those years and it breaks my heart. He has scars that I don't know the story for, I have no idea what kind of a baby he was, I don't have a picture of my little boy before the age of 3. That DVD is a precious, precious possession. I'm glad you have it.
ReplyDeleteYou have the most beautiful way of making me cry.
ReplyDelete