When we arrived home from Ethiopia we were greeted with ants in our kitchen. They stayed out of the cabinets but they were coming in the patio door and cruising the counters, near the sink and under the cabinet under the sink. I killed the little pest hour after hour and became super anal about cleaning the kitchen after every meal. I've continued this and they have slowly disappeared. Then they started showing up on Biruk's window sill in his room. I went to open the window one day only to find several of these little pain in the *ss ants hustling around. We finally got the spray since the Terro traps weren't doing the job. So as far as we know those are gone for the time being. Then yesterday Conner brought me his car container (that was setting in the middle of the living room, on a cardboard box). It had only been in the house for 24 hours because Nathan had brought in home from the old house. Anyway, I go to open in up for him and it was crawling with those tiny, nasty ants. Why? Because there were two tiny chip crumbs in it. I threw it outside and assumed they came from the other house. A couple times during the day Conner would grumble "ughh, ants". I didn't think much of it since we always see ants in the house and then I really checked it out. There was a trail of these (makdfjsldf fsdoadsf) ants from the patio door to the center of the room where the cardboard box was that the car container had been sitting on. Hundreds of them... So the cleaning spree continued. I sprayed ant killer all along the trail, inhaling all the nasty chemicals because by this point I didn't really give a shit. Next I wiped them all up and completely overhauled the kitchen, dining and living room. Okay, mission accomplished right? Surely they are all gone.
I woke up this morning at 6:45 with the boys so by 9:30/10:00 we all settled back into bed for a short nap. This never happens and all I could think was "what a great day". The boys are happy, I'm rested, the house is clean, lah, lah, lah.... We head out of the house to get a bite to eat, gasoline and to Target. Biruk had been fussing at the gas station and I assumed he was ready to get out of his carseat. We arrive at Target shortly after and I reach back in the car and pull him out and sit him in my lap at Target's parking lot. All of the sudden I notice ants crawling all over my big preggo belly. WTF???? Sweet, baby Biruk has ants crawling on his outfit and I just wanted to cry. I dreadfully turn around to exam the carseat and sure enough it's swarming with these tiny, pain in my ass, ants. WHY here? WHY today? and WHY Biruk's carseat? And why is my hubby have to be out of town on this day. So I pull all these suckers off Biruk and I one by one and squish them with my fingers. Made a couple calls to my sisters to vent quickly. There was a cart next to the car so I strap Biruk in that and put Conner in the back of it and remove the carseat. I lifted up the cover and the underside has ants all over it. Is your skin crawling yet? I understand. I wanted to throw the damn thing away at this point and go into Target to by a new one. I wiped off what I could and looked in the back of the car only to find more. Meanwhile there is an older man sitting in his pick up watching all of this and I'm sure thinking the absolute worse. Being pregnant and toting around 2 wee ones has it's disadvantages (as far as being observed by other people). Anyway, since sitting in Target's parking lot for the afternoon and crying wasn't an option I loaded the boys (with remaining ants I'm sure) and headed home. I parked the car in the driveway, stripped Biruk of his clothes and diaper and have not left the house since. Why? Because I don't have it in me to tackle those POS's right now.
Oh hon, I am so sorry. That is just awful. I am adding ants to my list of things that can ruin your day. It comes right after unexpected vomit and running out of milk.
ReplyDeleteAre they the tiny ones that don't bite but annoy the sh*t out of you??
ReplyDeleteBecause I had a ton of those little bastards in my house a few months back. I went through who knows how many bottles of 409 killing them. They would be coming in droves out of my dishwasher on a daily basis. Luckily the weather changed and they disappeared. I'm sure they'll be back this year though!It's insane how bad they can piss you off! ...bastards.
I hope your day got better!!
:)
OMG girl, I feel your pain. They must be traveling north for the summer because I have had a heck of a time with them here in Fayetteville. They were coming in the back door off of the patio, under the baseboards, Lord knows where else. It was like a horror movie. And coming down in the morning to find hundreds of them trekking across the floor or devouring a tiny piece of chicken left in the sink - on more than one occasion, I pondered the consequences of pouring gasoline on them and striking a match. Then I imagined the house burning to the ground while those damn ants continued to march through the ash. Ugh, I completely sympathize.
ReplyDeleteI finally bought some cheapo ant killer that I sprayed all over inside and out, and haven't had a problem since. I hope you eventually find something that works, cuz being invaded is the pits!!
oh man, we are having ant problems too. but not like you. didn't you just want to yell at the man in the car to get off his butt and help out?
ReplyDeletewe found them this morning trying to squeeze big crumbs through a crack in our wood floor. hadn't thought they'd be coming through the floor boards!
I'm going to check the car. blech.
That is so gross. I cannot believe they had taken over the baby's carseat. Good work on making my skin crawl :)
ReplyDeleteholy shizniz that's nasty. :) good luck with that. no words of advice, just yuck!
ReplyDeleteEwww. We are so not coming to visit.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like Jamie and her earwig problem. How incredibly nasty. I think I actually snorted with laughter when you wrote about not caring if you inhaled the bug spray. I'm not laughing at your pain, really. I'm laughing with you. You ARE laughing right???? ;)
ReplyDeleteHope you get rid of those nasty, vile creatures soon!!!!
Maybe you should embrace the ants and get an ant farm. I bet they really just want to be friends. Get to know them and give them a chance.
ReplyDeleteWe had ants last year and we sprayed the entire parameter of the house with pretty potent ant spray. We got it at Wal-mart in a white jug/red writing with a little sprayer on it. Once Steve sprayed the entire outside, they were gone!
ReplyDeleteI hate ants too!!!
I was thinking the same thing about Jamie's earwig infestation. If I recall correctly, she left the house for two days and called in professionals to deal with it. I hope they just disappear for you or somebody else takes care of it. Please keep us posted. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteThis is great info to know.
ReplyDelete