One of my goals for 2011 is to convert to a "made from scratch" diet. I want to know each and every ingredient in our meals and really put forth the effort to make some last minute changes I have hanging over me. There are a few items and canned food that I need to remove from our diet and substitue with the real thing. On that list is the following;
-bread (please share your favorite recipes. Do I need a bread maker? Sourdough start?)
-crackers (I'm a sucker for crackers with soup, peanut butter and cheese)
-all beans (I still buy them in cans so I'm making the switch to making them from the dry beans)
-tortilla's (I know these are probably super easy and I just need to do it once)
-noodles (I'd love to start making my own)
-cream of _____ (I have a few random recipes that include crm of chkn and crm of mushroom)
I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting but that's what comes to mind at the moment. I realize most of these are probably easy to make but for me it's always taking the plunge and attempting it for that first time. Once I do it the first time, the second and third will be so much easier. I finally made the plunge and made my own veggie dip (I used to buy the dry ranch mix). I want to start making our own salad dressing, taco seasoning and onion soup mix. I need to start canning tomatoes. I also want to make applesauce for the boys.
I have new foods I'm implenenting. It's so easy to make the same ole stuff because it's easy and I know them by heart. We want to start making our own sushi. And the new year has included an abundance of fresh fruit and veggies, hummus, avocados, and delicious soups. I'm so thankful the boys are so willing to try new foods and eat healthy with little complaining.
I'd love for my readers to share favorite recipes and also any suggestions for favorite supplies (food processor, bread maker, etc??) for whipping up natural foods. I will try to share some of my favorite recipes as I learn and perfect them. Happy & healthy 2011 to all!
Peanut butter and jelly between two slices of bread is good.
ReplyDeleteWe LOVE our sourdough. Muffins, pancakes, waffles and pizza dough are all delicious...you can also use wheat flour with it and it is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteArtisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, baby. And definitely a food processor. It is 3 am or I would type more. I have a recipe for crackers you could try. I can't remember what else you posted about, I am that tired. Maybe I'll do better after sleep. Do I sound delirious? Talk soon!
ReplyDeleteHi Chan! Have you thought about getting a juicer? My dad has one, loves it and uses it a lot. He makes his own peanut or almond butter with it too. The boys are just to precious:)
ReplyDeleteRight now order the book "Joy of Cooking". It tells you how to do ALL OF THAT. I make my own dressings (all in there). I use the whole wheat bread recipe from that (though there's literally every kind of bread recipe there) no break maker! We also use their pizza crust recipe (SO GOOD!)
ReplyDeleteAlso, go buy a Ninja. It's way better than any other blender/food processor/mixer than we've ever had. We make homemade applesauce, homemade ice cream, etc all in that. It's the best thing in the world!
Let me know if you have any other questions. Love it!
Definitely procure yourself a food processor. I have two. Don't judge. They are different sizes and I have justified them to myself.
ReplyDeleteHomemade noodles are on my list this year too. Shall we make it a joint effort? :)
Good luck! You can totally do this and you will love having done it.
Great job!!
ReplyDeleteFood processor is a must, I third that ( I like the ninja too Tessi!)
No bread maker is needed. Just get good recipes and take the time to make them.
A friend is getting me a pasta maker so I will join you all in that.
Do you want us to email you the recipes or post on our site?
Those are great ideas!! I was thinking about the exact same thing the other day. I heard on the radio that you can clean your toilet using Coca Cola just by putting the soda in the toilet, letting sit a while, then flushing. I couldn't believe it!! I'm putting something that can clean my toilet into my body?! Then it got me thinking that I should start eating and drinking foods that don't have anything in it that I don't know what it is or can't pronounce. I want to be kind to my body.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, enough of that. :) I do have a recipe for wheat bread that I LOVE that I will share with you. I think I still have it, it's been a while since I have made homemade bread. You remind me that I should get back in the habit of making my own bread. Also, I have a recipe for homemade cream soup. I'll share that with you, too.
For now, I'd better get off of here and help my husband work on our board and batten wainscoting. :)
Hope you are having a great day!
Beth.
Hey Chandra,
ReplyDeleteWill you post your recipe for homemade veggie dip?
I recieved a Ninja for christmas and so far I really liked it. (I've only used it 2x) Also check out Stephanie's blog on slow cooking. She has several recipes for cream of...soups. Plus a ton of other great recipes
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com
-Melissa