Today I read an article on ZRecommends.
Click here to read it. This article really got me thinking about how I was before becoming a parent. How little I knew about what it took, how hard it was really going to be (even though I had 10 siblings) and how much I would struggle. Pre-children, I remembered hearing other moms in the ladies room saying things like "Ugh..I just needed to get away from the kids" or "I just need a break, my kids are driving me crazy". Whatever, typical mother comments. But I didn't know that back then. I heard them say these things and in my head I'd think 'that's awful. Who says that about their children? When I'm a mom I can't imagine wanting to be away from them.' Fast forward 12 months. HOLY SHIT. This is what these women were talking about. Conner had colic and I would literally have to lay him in his bed to scream and shut myself in a bathroom just to gain composure. Fast forward to 3 kids. I would love nothing more then to have a sibling or grandparents live nearby so I can get a break from my wee little ones. SO, one of the first lessons I learned after having a child. Judgement is a waste of everyone's time and accomplishes nothing. That's not to say I still don't find myself questioning decisions people make in their life whether it's in regards to carseats, vaccinations, food they eat, how they spend their money or other day to day things. But when I do, I try to remind myself that it does ABSOLUTELY no good for me to judge that person. It's stupid really. My husband is really good at keeping me in check in this department. He's a good man and a much better person then myself in so many ways. I love that about him. It's nice to be reminded from time to time, when he says "Chandra, judge not, lest ye be judged".
Okay, okay, he's right. So anyway, I read this post this morning and thought I'd share. My mom always said "It's amazing a child makes it until they turn 18". She's right. Biruk knocked over my night stand. Conner came and told me Biruk knocked over the dresser. My heart stopped and I sprinted up the stairs. It was my little nightstand but it could have been a large dresser. We can't always protect our children. We get out of bed in the morning and do the best we can and for every day we all survive I say thanks! I read someone's blog where a woman had forgotten to strap her daughter in her carseat. I've done that twice. I let Conner climb up, strapped the 2 little ones in and took off. From the backseat I hear "mom, you forget to strap me in". Sometimes as a parent we have so much on our plate we can't keep everything straight. So frequently, when showering, I can't remember if I've shampooed my hair. So I do it again and then maybe it occurs to me that I had already done it. I still have to subtract my birth year to come up with my age. And I find I am getting more forgetful by the day. And I know I'm not alone with this. There are a lot of busy parents out there that are doing the best they can. And for those that have had to endure such an awful tragedy, I feel nothing but sorrow for them.
I am SO GLAD to know I'm not the only one who can't remember if I've shampooed my hair or not. It just befuddles me when it happens. Or when I walk into a room for something and have no idea why I'm there. My memory is completely shot, thanks to my 3 kids.
ReplyDeleteOk, how about getting out of the shower and realizing that not only did I NOT shampoo my hair but I DID put in conditioner and DID NOT rinse it out.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you know that feeling when you pause for a second on your way on to do something else, and you don't know why you paused, and you don't give it another thought until 3 days later when it hits you that you've forgotten something you were supposed to do that time you paused?
I think women, by nature, are judgmental. I catch myself doing it all the time, and I always have to remind myself that I probably would not want to be judged by others either. After all, what do they really know about my life? It's easy to judge from afar, and I think we're all guilty at one time or another.
ReplyDeleteFunny, lately with being pregnant and having to deal with the stress of motherhood, I find myself feeling relieved just to get out of the house. I don't recall if I always felt this way, or if it's just since pregnancy. I think getting away makes me a better mother because I know I am not emotionally capable of dealing all day with the ups and downs of being a mom - at least not right now. I find I am more patient and nurturing if I have some time each day to clear my mind.
Anarchy! Thunderdome! Tuesday!
ReplyDeleteChandra... you have me laughing.... about the shampoo... I thought I was the only one this happened too....
ReplyDeleteI loved this post.. good reminders in this busy life...
Lisa