Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The hotel failed THE test.!

That's right. The yucky hotel we are staying at failed my very, very important pube test. And I didn't even have to pull back the sheets to find the yucky, coarse, curled up hair. I walked into the bathroom and there they lay (yes, they, there were more than one). I'm pretty sure the hotel room never got cleaned. The toilet seat was up and a drop of seriously dark, unhealthy, yellow pee and a pubic hair sat staring up at me. If I didn't actually gag at that moment, I know I wanted to. I made a comment to nathan and he said "You are so hard to please". Yes, everyone knows I squirm at the thought of hotel rooms but nasty, curlies all over the bathroom. Yuck!

So we stayed here Friday night, at the house Saturday in the tent and then Sunday rolled around and Nathan asked if we wanted to stay here. Our only other options were Econolodge (not much better and they were completely booked for the week) or Best Western (very eerie and scary from the outside - Nathan said it looks like it belongs in the movie The Shining). So I grimaced and said "no problem, that sounds great". When he got out of the car to check in I sarcastically told him to ask for a remodeled room. He did get us a room on floor level and it was actually cleaner than the previous one. So I'm dealing with it. Little man wanted to gross me out even more the first night by rolling all around the floor (gag again). He was showered and not allowed to get off the bed sheets after that. Yes, I stressed sheets because I always pull the comforter back and sit on the sheets. Comforters are not washed and it's one more thing that gives me the "itchies" as my dad puts it.

Okay, okay, moving on....
this past week was CRAZY. I got up last Wednesday and spent the whole day going up and down the stairs filling containers and loading them on the trailer or in the car. It was a busy day and then we headed out to the new house only to stay up all night preparing for the drywallers who would be arriving the next day to start hanging. We wired more, pulled nails, picked off the remaining tedious plaster and cleaned up. The guy came to deliver drywall around 9:30 in which we were scrambling around trying to insulate all the places he was sitting the drywall. Then the guys showed up to start hanging around 1:00. Nathan and I stayed one room ahead of them and put up 2x4's for nailers wherever they asked. It was nuts. They worked until five.















Window or no window in the bathroom? I think it seems tiny and dark. I could custom order a glass block window that would not be easy to install and then we'd tile around it?? Any thoughts....
















This is what little man did all afternoon Thursday and Friday morning. We felt like terrible parents. But kids are resilient and he never was angry with us. I kept him stocked with food and movies. He's not going to know what to do when he's not allowed to watch so much tv.














It doesn't end there. We had a TON of homework to do to prepare for the next day. By 11 pm we couldn't think straight so we fell asleep until 2:00. The rest is a blur.... (insulate, pulling wires, looking for the same tools over and over again, drinking more soda, eating more candy, sleepy moments) drywallers showed up around 8, we again tried to stay ahead of them. Finally at 10:30 I had to leave and get home before closing and get everything packed. Thanks to my dad and Amber for keeping me awake on the drive home. Little man fell asleep and I filled garbage bags full of the stuff we had left. Not as little as I thought. The new owners showed up a little after one to do the final walk through. They agreed to let us come back after closing (very nice) to let us finish up packing. I was stressing because I didn't have the house all clean and was so unorganized. After closing we headed back, packed for over three hours and headed out to dinner. Then we delivered the trailer out to the new (old) house and we made it to the hotel by 11:00. Here's a pic of our last minute stuff... (what a joke)
I wish I'd taken a picture from another angle. We shoved a TON of garbage bags of crap under the desk and on the other side of the washer and dryer. Thankfully the mattress tied down held everything in place. The cars were completely loaded down as well. But we made it!

The house looked really good when we got there (see above pics) and all that was left was the fireplace wall, the wall between the living room and a bedroom and the laundry room. The next day I called the contractor and told him the house looked good, we could even up and if the guys had time this week to finish that would be great. Saturday we took it a little easier and finished up the rest of the wiring (in which I lost in paper, rock, scissors) and had to do the tedious job of feeding a wire through a tiny space in the attic (yuck). We were filthy and finally called it a night at one a.m.. Sunday I didn't even know it was Father's Day until I talked to Lee around 3pm. That's right; WORST WIFE EVER. I felt like shit. Poor hubby. So I went in and apologized and then called my dad. I'm telling you my brain is fried. So Monday I was going to not be so rushed and frazzled. WRONG. Woke up to a phone call saying the drywallers were on their way to finish up. What?? I had no warning. I need to finish putting in insulation, run a couple more wires, go over everything.... EEEkk...
I brushed my teeth and left. Little man and I had to run to Lowes to get more 12-2 to run through the attic. Anyway, I sweat bullets for about six hours straight but again, the payoff was worth it. The house is officially complete with drywall hung. Now it needs to be finished and textured (still working on finding someone for that). The house looks awesome. We cleaned for a couple hours last night and I will post pics of the finished product soon. I didn't have my camera last night. We had a TON of garbage. Anyway, sorry for the SUPER long and crazy post. I wanted to get you all caught up. I miss having contact with my family. Soon enough I will be available! Little man just woke up so I'd better get going. Have a happy Tuesday. Tonight is Mexican food and a yummy Margarita!

2 comments:

  1. Yay that it's almost done! I've loved the posts, and just finished telling my husband that he can forget about us ever renovating a home ourselves. He's always wanted to, but Chandra, I am just not the woman you are! There is no way I could deal with the level of stress that you've had to handle.

    As for the bathroom window - I'd go for it. The block glass sounds good. I always prefer lots of natural light. If your neighbors aren't too close, could you just install a standard window, or is there a reason that won't work in a bathroom? (see - i know nothing about construction :) ). Good luck - can't wait to see pics of the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandra,
    The house looks amazing. I seriously wish I was closer to come help and maybe take connor for a play date. (probably a scary idea after reading my posts!)
    I am with you on the hotel naties!! I hate hotels. The comforter is so true--don't ever take a black light into the room. You would never go to a hotel again.
    Hope this week is more relaxing!!!

    ReplyDelete