Sunday, May 10, 2009

Firewood for Sale




We had a storm blow through Friday morning. It uprooted one of our big, old hardwoods at our rental property (aka - the farmhouse we completely gutted and remodeled and then tried to sell). My old neighbor called to tell me it took down a power line on it's way down and half of it was in their yard. I couldn't believe it when I looked at the pictures Nathan took with his phone. And then to see it with my own eyes was even more unbelievable. Thankfully it wasn't one of the trees that sits right next to the house. I can't imagine the damage they would have caused. Anyway, yesterday was spent loading and unloading the trailer full of tree limbs and taking them out to the fields. It was a mess. They are still without power out there.

We live in city limits but somehow are still without power. But if you remember the ice storm last Jan (click here) resulted in us buying a generator. And boy are we glad for that purchase now. We have been turning it on every few hours to chill the freezer/fridge. And today I even did a load of laundry. I had wet towels that had been sitting for a couple days and I feared the smell would ruin them.

There is a never a dull moment around here (not that I'm complaining). We have running water (clean water no less), a fridge full of food and electricity when we need it. Not to mention the fact that I have so much appreciation for a candle now. I forgot how relaxing and soothing it is to sit in a dark room and read a book by the light of candle. I've decided I'm going to see how much money we can save in electricity by using candles in the evenings instead of turning lights on and off. My mother in law had given me this candle a couple years ago and I didn't know how awesome it was until 2 nights ago. It was still in it's package and when I lit the wick the how candle illuminated. Very, very pretty! Thank you Jeanne!

Well I need to put away groceries and do some housecleaning.

Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful mother's I've had the pleasure of getting to know via the internet.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Happy Mom's Day, Chandra. I'd rather pay the $0.16 per kWhr than burn down our house with candles. Love you. Nater

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, your husband is cute and funny. Wow, good luck with the tree. Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza! Thats nuts!! Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:46 AM

    Looks like a fun mess to clean up:)

    Keel

    ReplyDelete