Well I'll start with 2 years ago at the farmhouse when Nathan, for whatever reason, did his first monkey impression. I'm guessing it had to do with Conner talking about monkeys but I don't remember the specifics. Anyway, since I thought it was so freaking hilarious, I have since requested "monkey impression, monkey impression" from time to time. And we aren't talking about just any monkey impression; we are talking FULL BLOWN "if you don't believe in the theory of evolution you will now" crazy monkey man. If you are not in the room but close enough to hear the sounds, you would swear there was a real live monkey in our home. That's just the sound effects, I can't describe how accurately he leaps across the room with his "monkey" arms doing all sorts of crazy shit. Meanwhile, Conner and I laughing until we are in tears.
Fast forward to this morning when we were all sitting around the kitchen and I realized I hadn't seen the monkey impression in quite some time. Come to think of it, I'm not sure Biruk or Landon had ever seen it. So I did my "Monkey, Monkey" chant hoping I could convince Nater to bust it out. And being the sweet hubby that he is, we saw a full blown monkey demonstration. And let me tell you, I have NEVER heard Biruk laugh so hard. Which, along with Conner & Landon's laughter, I was in stitches. The monkey business ended when my little sister (visiting from Indiana - we love you Kirst) came up the stairs with a somewhat frightened expression on her face. I had thought she had already left for her run. Ooopss... We laughed it off and she went on her way.
A little bit later I was making dinner while Nathan entertained the boys in the basement. When we bought this home, the basement had a room that was designated as a weight room with the padded foams (that fit together like a puzzle) over the concrete. We've used it as a toyroom for the boys. (this information will come in handy is just a moment). So anyway, I came down to hang out briefly and one thing led to another and the 'monkey man' came out for entertainment. As I stated earlier, Nater doesn't just do the "eeewww, ewwww... ahhh, ahhhh". His arms were a flapping and swinging around while he's squatting and jumping all over the place. And all of the sudden I hear "Ahhhhh.... ". Nathan has his right hand gripped between his legs and says "I think I broke my knuckle". I was hoping he just gave it a good ding on the floor and ran up for ice. He said he couldn't really move his finger (pinky edge of his hand). After 30 min of some frozen vegetables on his hand he thought maybe it was going to okay. Then he showed me his hand (ughhhh... grossness). It looked like he had an enlarged knuckle, next to his pinky knuckle. Very creepy and definitely more than a bump. Thankfully he decided something just wasn't feeling right and headed to urgent care. Less than an hour later I got a text saying "it's broke, be home shortly". That's right, he broke a bone in his hand playing with his kids. The doctor wrapped him up, told him he needs an ortho surgeon (hopefully no surgery) for a cast that he will wear for 4-6 weeks. That's right folks. My sweet husband did his monkey mania for his crazy wife and now has a broken hand. This is all my fault.
I'm sorry Nater. Thanks for making us laugh today and I promise to return the favor while you are in a cast for the next 4-6 weeks. Of course it's going to be a little hard to laugh with all the baths I'll be giving, dishes I'll be doing and diapers I'll be changing. Your hand will be missed.... dearly. I love you! And you are the cutest damn monkey I have ever seen!
At this moment he was thinking "how the hell am I going to explain this?"
Haha, very funny. It's 4 am. I'm up in discomfort and downing some ibuprofen. Chand, let's remember to call a foundation repair guy tomorrow, because I assume the concrete crumbled under the floor when my fist came down upon it.
ReplyDeleteAh, the dangers of simian impressions, a lesson every man must learn first hand.
ReplyDeleteNo giving baths, no dishes, no diapers. Yeah, this totally sounds like an accident...
ReplyDelete-kip
Oh wow! Sweet story though.....
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh, this is the funniest and saddest post all in one. that x-ray is scary! so broken!!! hope he feels better and that you can all keep laughing at each other.
ReplyDeleteNice work! Hopefully we can see Monkey Man. Another gathering June 27th in Springfield. Send me your email address, please -
ReplyDeleterog@elitepromo.com
It's only fair that you secretly tape the impression and show us the next time he does it. :0)
ReplyDeleteHoly crap. That's awesome. Besides the pain and stuff.
ReplyDeleteHulk smash! Hulk smash!
Dr. Zaius, you are truly entertaining. And you kind of look like Troy McClure. Can you play the piano now? Thanks for the laugh. Sorry about the pain thing.
ReplyDelete