Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Biruk-ee

When we were in Ethiopia all the nannies would run up to Biruk when we were at the care center and say "Birukee Birukee Birukee" with their beautiful, beautiful accents. He was well loved and his face would light up when seeing them. And from then on we called him Birukee. Nathan would say it repeatedly to him just like the nannies and his face would brighten up. It was one thing that was familiar for the little guy. So if you hear me refer to him as that, this is why. I am trying to phase it out but it's so hard. It's really grown on us. I catch Conner doing it a lot, as well and some of my siblings.

Biruk has been home for going on 11 months. It's been interesting to say the least. And since his one year is coming up I've been thinking a lot about our travels to Ethiopia, the insane (to put it nicely) few weeks after we picked him up (starting with the flight) and how we've bonded and attached. I felt like I was constantly analyzing those first few months after he arrived home. Are we attached? Do I treat him different than Conner? Why doesn't he do this or that like Conner did? Maybe we aren't attaching well. Meanwhile, him and Nater were falling into an adorable relationship. Biruk loves his daddy. As soon as he sees Nathan his face lights up and he yells "Daddy (it's spoken more like Da-Deeee). Too cute. Anyway, I loved him, no doubt about it, but I was constantly worried that it was "different" and you think about the fact that they are adopted.

Then around 6 months I realized something was different. I wasn't thinking about it anymore. I wasn't obsessing about whether or not we had attached to each other. That was a good sign. I noticed you think less and less about their adoption, it feels so natural. But somehow, being the crazy, analytical person I am I still worried. Biruk is busy. That's not to be taken lightly either. The boy loves to be on the move. So up until bedtime, he doesn't stop to come cuddle and curl up in my lap. Conner, our 3 year old is constantly doing that.

But something happened this week. Biruk, our indestructible germ rejector, finally picked up some cooties and got his double ear infection. He has become Mr.Snuggler, hang at my feet wanting to be picked up while I'm making dinner, wants mama not dad and falls asleep in my arms. And I'm loving every single minute of it! Twice today he curled up in my arms and I rocked him to sleep. And he did it twice without his security doll 'Little Baby Gund'. I've never felt better. So I feel the need to shout it out to everyone who will listen, "He loves me!! He needs me! And I need him!". I hope this isn't a temporary thing and we can continue our snuggle sessions. And him needing me to hold him in the middle of the day, just because. We need that. We need each other.

I love you my little Biruk-ee. Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. Did you just say you're loving the fact that your poor son has double ear infections. Jeez.

    Just kidding. I can't believe you're only coming up on the one year mark. It seems like it's been forever.

    Hope we get to see you guys soon.

    (And by the way, are you pregnant?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops. This is actually James. (Stay off my computer Hools.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet little guy - and a sweet post. I've been meaning to e-mail ever since you left me a comment a couple weeks ago but keep forgetting. Don't know if anyone's ever mentioned it to you or not, but there is a group of adoptive families (primarily from Ethiopia) that meet once a month in the area. If you're interested, send me an e-mail or leave me a comment and I'll get you the info. Hope everyone's feeling better at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:46 AM

    I am going to need all the advise for my little one and our attachment issues, thanks. `Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  5. James, quit spreading rumors would you. No, I'm not pregnant. You can have all the glory this pregnancy, I'm fine sitting on the sidelines :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:41 PM

    He is sooo cute, I love that shirt he is wearing. So cute!! miss you guys

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:27 PM

    I came up with the nickname "Tank" for him lol

    ReplyDelete