Monday, August 25, 2008

Such a blessing....






It's been five months since Biruk came into our care full time. A lot has happened in that time. When he first arrived home I was six months pregnant, exhausted and felt like I was never going to get a handle on things. Biruk was waking up 5-8 times a night and was inconsolable at times. Within a month he felt more comfortable and was waking maybe 3-4 times a night and we were able to calm him down better. And he finally start sleeping through the night just a couple weeks ago (of course he did have a bottle last night). Anyway, we've come a long way.

We've also come a long way in terms of attachment. I felt like I was struggling at the beginning for an instant bond with him. I loved him, don't get my wrong, it was just different. But with time, I quit thinking about it. And now, it feels so natural. I'm no longer wondering when we'll be "there". Somewhere along the way it happened and my love for him is unquestionable. And I think it's the same for him. He was alway there to smile and give us a big grin but he was surely confused. I notice how infrequently he sucks his fingers now where initially they were a constant source of comfort for him.

Biruk was 12 lbs at 6 months old and wearing 0-3 month clothing. He could hardly put weight on his legs when we were in Ethiopia although he was great on his belly and could hold his head up and look around. He is now walking around all the furniture, standing alone for a few seconds and soon we'll be chasing him around the house. He was cup feeding formula and eating rice cereal where now he is eating baby food and bites of our dinner most evenings. He is over 20 lbs and wearing mostly 9-12 month clothing.

The one sound he made in Ethiopia was da-da-da-da-da and he still loves da-da today. And when he says those words he can crinkle up his tiny nose and make the most adorable face ever. His eyes are amazing. They light up a room when he smiles. The kid is so stinking adorable. He's very onery and LOVES getting into everything. You shout "no" and he turns to you with a big grin and knows there is no way he'll get into trouble with such a cute face. He's brought us many of laughs and him and Conner are having a blast together. Happy 5 months; we love you Biruk!!




9 comments:

  1. Awww, I CANNOT wait to see you guys, only four more days. I'm super excited! The pics of Biruk are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 5 months big guy! He really is super cute!!
    Wahoo for adoption and chunky baby boys.
    Hugs from Idaho!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:45 AM

    What a cutie! I'm really hoping you guys can come out sometime and see us............we'll babysit!!!

    Take care.
    Keel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:51 PM

    Hey Chandra, wow, can't believe it's been 5 months since we came home! Still feels like yesterday that we were in ET and yet at the same time, like we've been home with our kids forever! Biruk is so beautiful and looks so healthy and strong...I am sure you are right, he will be running around before you know it.

    Be well,
    Themia (& Louis)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Biruk is adorable. You know I love that name! :)
    I am so glad you can be honest about the time it takes to fall in love with kiddos sometimes.
    I am so glad things are going well. Wait till you hit a year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm so excited you are coming camping this weekend! and i'm just as excited to see am and her two boys. We can get Morgan and Biruk together and compare! Based off of these pictures, Andersen will be little.
    He's adorable, chunky, and soooo cute!
    I hope you have a safe, comfortable, non eventful trip and we'll see you tomorrow!....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post - and such an adorable little guy! Amazing how much he's grown in changed in just a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe it has been five months. I did my post for Marlee a couple of days ago. I saw those first pics of Biruk and it took me back to Ethiopia with you:) I am so glad he is sleeping through the night. Hope all is well and next time maybe we will get to chat and not leave messages. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how boy inhabited your home has become!!! LOL! OK, is it girl trying time once more??

    ReplyDelete