Monday, March 31, 2008

Running on empty...

Running low...
Whew.... it's been a whirlwind since I posted last (hence the delay). We are home safely and Biruk is doing well. Ethiopia was beautiful and very busy but we missed home terribly. It was hard being away from Little Man for so long and by the end I just wanted to be back here with him. We had a great time in country and we were so happy to finally be with Biruk. He took to us well but we are having some sleeping issues. He's such an alert little baby and would much rather be checking everything out verses sleeping.

The plane ride home was exhausting and we were so happy to finally be in the car headed home. Little man gave us quite the welcome home memories. We walked into the front door (or should I say ran) and into the dining room where he was eating. He just stared at us with almost a sad expression and then grinned. I swooped him up and he just kept touching my face and hair with his hands. Then he reached over to Nathan and did the same thing. That was followed by the biggest, tightest hugs. I had tears in my eyes and was overjoyed to be with him again. Needless to say we will not be leaving him again for a long time. For the first 48 hours he just kept saying "Mom, I missed you so much. I love you so much!" and we've had lots of snuggling. He was excited to meet Biruk and he has been a great big brother.

Saturday/Sunday are a haze. Little man was sick with a fever and by Sunday night it had gotten so high and his breathing sounded terrible so we took him to the urgent care. They tested for pnemonia, RSV, and strep which all came back negative. But his fever was 105.1 when we arrived so they recommended we take him to the ER for further testing. By the time we got there and waited an hour Little Man was running around and very energetic. So we opted to come home. The fever came back up through the night and today but we've managed it some with some fever reducer. Tonight he sounded terrible yet again, fever in the 103's and a very rapid heart rate. It was breaking our heart and off to the ER him and hubby headed. I'm sitting at home hoping everything is going to be okay. Please think of our little man and send warm wishes and prayers his way. He's a sick little guy. I feel helpless at home but I did not want to take Biruk out too.

So this is why you've not heard from me. I tried to post from Ethiopia by emailing my blog but I must have been doing something wrong. Thanks to everyone for thinking about us. I'll hopefully figure out being a mother of two soon and my life will regain some order again. I will post pictures soon! Biruk is absolutely beautiful!! He LOVES to smile and is very loving.
love, C

10 comments:

  1. You must be insanely tired. And welcome to the club of being at the ER right after getting back from Ethiopia. I am so praying for you all. Can't wait to see photos. Can't wait for you all to get healthy and rested. Can't wait for you to get a few weeks under your belt with 2 kids. I am so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I've been waiting to hear how you all are doing and I am so sorry Little Man is sick. I hope he is better soon.

    His missing you and your homecoming nearly brought me to tears this morning. So glad you are home and your family is all together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back - glad everything went well. Can't wait to see pics of your new little guy! Hope Little Man feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BUMMER about Conner being sick. Ugh, that's probably about the last thing you guys need right now, huh? I'm glad you made it back safe and sound, though, and that you brought baby Biruk home with you! If anyone can sympathize with sleep issues, it's me. I'm sure he is just adjusting to his new environment and will get the hang of the sleeping soon.

    Anyhoo, congrats on making it through this crazy process and finally having all your boys at home! We'll chat soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home! The family forum expects pictures.

    Here's hoping the little dude gets better quickly and B gets over his jet lag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you couldn't have a more relaxed homecoming. It's good to hear Biruk is settling in though. Hopefully, Conner starts feeling better soon. It always stresses me out when my kids are sick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home! Sorry Conner is sick, he will be in our prayers! What a blessing to have both boys in your arms tight tonight. Looking forward to hearing about the trip after you settle in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to see you're home safe and sound and you have your new son. Can't wait to see pictures!!!

    Hope your biggest boy gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That sounds like a lot to deal with. I'll be thinking of you and hoping it gets easier and everybody feels better, quick. Poor little man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG Chandra!! You guys are probably wore out!I hope everyone is feeling better!!Poor Connor! He waitied for his mommy & daddy to get home,before getting sick.Hopefully everyone else won't get sick now.Congrats on having Biruk home!

    ReplyDelete