Monday, May 10, 2010

Tornado Time

I love nasty weather. I know I shouldn't because of the damage that sometimes comes with it, but I can't help but love a nasty thunderstorm. Today I started hearing about the "tornado" weather that was headed our way so I was secretly excited for some storm watching. Around 4:00 the clouds started rolling in and within 15 minutes our yard was filled with hail, the tornado siren went off, I scrambled to the closet with the kids and the next thing I knew the sky was clear. Unfortunately the storm system continued wrecking havoc on other parts of the city with several tornados touching down. I must clarify, I like thunderstorms ONLY, I would not wish a tornado on my worst enemy. It was so sad watching the news and seeing all the homes torn apart. It's just one more reminder of the struggles people have to deal with in this world. I know for some it's a hassle and a call to their insurance company. But for others (the mobile home park that was destroyed) they are left with nothing.

And tomorrow I'm going to purchase a welder for Nathan so he can rig up a safe room in our closet under the stairs since basements barely exist in OK. I joke, but it is very tempting :) Here are some pictures I captured this evening.



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:31 AM

    Get those boys working with their Tonka trucks and diggers and start digging a shelter.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. my kids love hail. when it hails here (every other day in summer) they run outside and collect the hail stones. i have a limit, though. once they're as big as grapes they have to come inside--and they HATE me for it. z got nailed in the forehead with a huge hailstone once and still wanted to play outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:37 PM

    the pieces of hail look like white lemon heads

    poe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are safe. I have never lived any where with tornadoes so they seem frightening.
    We do love hail storms except when they ruin cars because they are the size of golf balls or baseballs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wowza!! that hail is NUTS!!

    ReplyDelete