Sunday, December 20, 2009

My gift to you...

I liked life in Missouri. I always knew it wasn't "forever" but life was good. I had fears that the perhaps the grass wasn't always greener and that my desires to live somewhere more fulfilling would bite me in the butt. That maybe it was as good as it was going to get in our small little town. Nathan worked from home with some day traveling (still does) and when around, we could give him hugs and kisses during the day, especially when we really needed it. And every so often we had breakfast together during the week, sometimes we would get him for lunch and almost every single night he was home for dinner. That in itself is a lot to be grateful for. And of course there are the 3 precious boys that we get to call ours. 3 healthy, happy, loving, generous, beautiful boys. It hasn't always been easy, but never have I regretted the choices we have made. Our life experiences have only made us stronger, closer and more grateful for what we have been given, what we have earned and what we have stumbled upon. In the 10 years I've been with Nathan my love for him has only grown stronger. I remember daydreaming in college about what kind of father and husband he would be. It doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. He has more patience, more generosity and more kindness than I had thought possible. And he's mine, I'm his, and for that I will always be grateful.

Fast forward to Oklahoma. We moved after our home sold and closed within 2 weeks. We were fortunate enough to find a rental in the suburb we didn't even think we were interested in living in. We LOVE it! After a month or two of craziness, boxes everywhere, nothing to be found, we started to get settled. With the chaos came a driveway that is perfect for riding bikes, a trail system we had always dreamed of, and weather that puts a smile on your face when you look out the window. In the two months living here we've spent more time outdoors and have put more miles on our bikes than in the past year living in Missouri. And the time we have spent relaxing with the kids and enjoying our time together is a result of this rental property. There are no rooms to paint, no drywall to patch, no plumbing to repair. We don't worry about all the flaws, the peeling drywall, the tub that doesn't drain or the mold near the patio window. It's not our problem. If renting a home has taught me anything, it's to slow down. And I couldn't be more thankful. We needed a big dose of that after moving 5 times (soon to be 6) in six years. We needed it after completely gutting and remodeling an old home with a one year old. And we really needed it after having 3 children in 32 months. I was scared of what one might consider a "boring life" after the whirlwind we had just lived through. But little did I know how much I would love it.

So my gift to you is this,
"Slow down. Enjoy the moment. Stop and read a book. Worry about your dirty house later (the dishes will still be there waiting). Go play outside with your kids. Celebrate the Christmas season for what it really is (not the version of what society thinks it is). Hug your loved ones as often as you can. You won't regret it. I promise. And take chances. You never know where it may lead you. I hope to carry this attitude through 2010. And I hope for all of you, you find your groove. You are able to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life. It's all of these little moments that shape us into who we are. Embrace them. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!"

Chandra :)
p.s. Christmas cards may be a little late this year (I've taken this "slowing down" mentality very seriously). And I can not find my address book in the mess of boxes, please email addresses! Thanks for your understanding.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you. It was just the gift I was hoping for. Happy, quiet holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and thanks for the advise. I'm really not going crazy :)

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:35 AM

    Chand...i'm going to admit, i teared a bit reading this! You are so wonderful and i am so glad you found your peaceful happy place :)Merry Christmas to you and yours too! and thanks for the great gift!

    love ya! niki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm taking your gift very seriously and am going to do *nothing* but savor my boys today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. : )
    Have a great quiet holiday!

    Cute Picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:35 PM

    Love the pic Chand. The boys all look so big.

    Keel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:30 AM

    i miss you!!!

    kirst

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:42 AM

    That was nice chand, if you saw my kitchen right now, you'd be proud of me :) Miss you and have fun in florida

    kujo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good post Chand!

    ReplyDelete