Wednesday, December 23, 2009

2 years ago today...


We saw Biruk's beautiful face for the first time. I was 3 months pregnant at the time and we had changed our preference from 0-12 months to 6-12 months old. Yet when I got the call, Alexa had said, "I know you had requested a 6-12 month old, but would you be open to a younger child" (I can still hear her voice in my head, my whole body shaking with nerves) and I responded "yes, yes, of course we're open". And then I got all the details on our sweet baby boy. So many emotions crossed our minds over those next few days. Two children, only 8-9 months apart. How would we manage? And all I could keep coming back to was that we still received a referral for younger than what we had requested. We were meant to be together. And I found comfort in that. We were chosen, blessed and fortunate enough to be able to stare into these beautiful eyes for the rest of our life. Thankful to see his smile, hear him laugh, talk and see his first step. And so grateful and honored to guide him along the path of life. We love you Biruk, thank you for blessing us with more than we could have ever imagined.



6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:47 AM

    He has the best smile! I miss the little guy.

    kujo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you lat him grow out his hair into an afro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Happy two years! Totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So amazing how one phone little tiny phone call can change our lives in such and enormous and beautiful way. Happy anniversary of the call that changed it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Katy from Straight Magic sent me to your blog because I am in a similar situation: When I was 17 weeks pregnant we got a referral for a 3.5 month old Ethiopian lover boy. I am now 20 weeks, and our court date is next week. Our babies will be 9ish months apart.

    I am hoping to read your blog and gain wisdom, but the first thing I read was the SSDD post about shit, and I laughed because *I* just recently posted about wanting to give cloth diapers a try and then I got scared because I will have 3 freaking kids in diapers by September.

    Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, introduce myself, tell you that you now have a blog stalker in me, and perhaps you wouldn't mind if I sent you an email asking about what it was like traveling to bring home your little man while pregnant.

    thanks!-Staci

    ReplyDelete