How do so many parents resist the temptation to get on their blog every single day to complain? 80% of the time, I enjoy staying at home with the kids. I love waking up with them and watching them eat breakfast together. I love hearing the 3 of them laughing. I love listening and watching them communicate. I am so grateful for being able to see their first step and the many that followed. So, so many things I have been blessed with in my life.
But on the flip side of that is the stuff that I can't stand. Dirty diapers. Biruk, thank heavens began potty training a month ago so I'm preventing half of his dirty diapers. And cloth diapering and poop do not jive well. Which is probably why I switch back and forth between disposable and cloth. Next on the "strongly dislike" list is baby food. They never want to eat it and in turn they spit it all over themselves or on you. Teething. Landon is on his 10th day of being a complete crab because he has 2 teeth coming through. And they are taking their sweet ass time. Therefore most of the day Landon is ticked off about every single thing I do. He's mad if I sit down, or if I stand up. Or if I try to feed him or nurse him. Seriously ticked off. Again, it's not the whole entire day, but a lot of it. And for every second that is miserable, it can erase 9 seconds of joy. And next thing you know - you are having a bad day.
I really try hard to restrain myself from venting too much on my blog. For various reasons of course. The most obvious one being that for those of you who don't know me, I'm sure I sound like a heartless *&$^%. Secondly, I don't like to complain. I know how fortunate we are to have 3 healthy children and I worry that I may offend certain people. I know I shouldn't care, but I do. Third, I'm terrible at putting my emotions into words. I'm not a writer (hence all the photos) and when I do try to explain myself it usually comes out as bunch of mumbo jumbo. For example, today's post might as well say "wah wah, wah wah. i hate baby food and being covered in shit. wah wah. wah wah".
I know I'm not alone but at the same time it's seems no one really talks about it out loud (for fear of judgment possibly).
But I will not leave you without a happy ending. The in-laws will be here in approximately 4 hours for a visit!! And that my friends, will get me through the rest of my day :)
p.s. as I wrap up this blog post I am listening to Conner (back in the bedroom with Landon) say to him "This is in the barn, man" in a weird voice and Landon is laughing. Meanwhile Biruk is sleeping and I all of the sudden find myself relaxed and calm thinking "what was I mad about again?" Ahhh... the highs and lows of motherhood. Sometimes I think I need help...
It's hard ass work. But it's easy to get over the bad stuff... because it's the same bad stuff every freakin' day.
ReplyDeleteI'll give you a call tomorrow when the kids are all being angelic and rub it in. Oh wait, they're never all angelic...
I hear you but it gets easier as they get older, I promise! :)
ReplyDeleteThree kids in, what, four years? That, my dear, is worth a daily vent.
ReplyDeleteIt will get better, I promise you that. But, sadly, not until most of them are in school.
Sometimes it just feels good to say it out loud or write it & that is all it takes to make you feel better! So next time you want to vent, complain or whatever feel free to shoot me an email & I will do the same :) We can bitch together!!
ReplyDelete: )
ReplyDeleteI think you can vent all you want about all those things :) I mean...I am against yogurt in my lap...who isn't?
It does get easier when they are older. Tesi is absolutely right about that!
I've been reading your blog for a long time, and I just wanted to say...I hear ya.
ReplyDeleteI think being a SAHM is the toughest job in the world. There are days I'd give anything to go to work, not deal with all the "kid" stuff, pick my kids up somewhere, and go home. Most days, I love what I get to do. Most don't. I guess what I'm trying to say, is I understand completely. You aren't the only one out there who feels this way
Girl, I can totally relate to the whole "to vent or not to vent on your Mommy blog" dilemma. I try to limit my crabby posts as well, but when I do have a bad day or something to complain about, I usually feel better if I get it out in the world instead of letting it brew. And what I have found is that many of my readers, especially those that stay at home with their kids, appreciate that they have someone to relate to about their own woes, someone who is willing to voice all of those nasty things that they are thinking but maybe have no forum to express themselves.
ReplyDeleteI guess the point is, most people appreciate when you are willing to be vulnerable and when they can relate to your situation. And I don't know who would fault a mom of three young kids for venting a little now and then (or more), and if they don't like it, they don't have to read it. If you ask me, there are few things as cathartic as spilling your guts in a blog post. Always makes me feel better!