Here is a glimpse of traveling with very young children.
Monday morning
11:20 a.m. pulled out of the driveway
11:45 a.m. stopped to pick up Biruk's security doll "buddy" (we aren't real creative with names)
12:20 p.m. Conner had to poop. From previous experience I knew this was bound to happen so it came as no surprise. We did the deed and then I managed to drop him while putting him in the carseat and gave him a lovely shiner under his eye. Tears were shed and both babies (who had just fallen asleep) were now awake. I continued to apologize while Conner kept saying "it's okay mom, you didn't mean to".
1:20 p.m. Conner had to poop again. Found another spot to pull off and everyone still awake.
2:20 p.m. Landon crying, stopped to feed kids.
3:20 p.m. Pulled off to pick up "buddy" again for Biruk
5:30 p.m. pulled off to take pictures of the rainbow and point it out to Conner.
5:55 p.m. stopped for a rather long "dinner break" which included baby food for the boys and fast food for Conner and I. I pulled into a large church parking lot to feed and change all 3 of them. While I'm doing this some lady pulls up in a car trying to snoop in my van (from her vehicle) and parks up by the entrance of the church. 10 min later a cop pulls up and runs my plates. I opened the van door and asked if it was "illegal to sit in a parking lot" and he said "No. We just got a call on a suspicious vehicle". LOL. Another cop was pulling in as he left, they talked and then they all left (including the lady who called me in). Just my luck. You'd think a minivan with out of state plates and a mom and kids in it would be screaming "pulling off to take a break".
7:05 p.m. back on the road.
7:15 p.m. Tried nursing Landon again since he was still crying.
10:45 p.m. arrived at destination.
Spent the next 2 hours getting the boys to sleep in a hotel room. Visited sister at college and then continued on to my parents (and in-laws). We were gone 5 nights. I slept with at least one of the boys every single night, most nights at least 2 of them. They woke up at 5:30 most mornings and 2 of the days we were home Landon decided he didn't need a nap. By Friday night they were all ready to get home so we left at 8:00 Sat morning with approximate 670 miles ahead of us.
8:09 a.m. pulled out of my parents driveway
10:30 a.m. lunch break for the kids. Took me 10 min to find the park, another five min to figure out how to access it (via side roads) and then another 10 min unloading the kids and doing my best to make sure none of them got squished by the slamming van doors (thanks to the nasty wind). Finally found an area protected by the wind and tried feeding the kids. None of them were hungry (of course) and Conner was the only one of actually ate. Most of the time was spent yelling at Biruk (who ignored everything I said) and holding a squirmy Landon on my lap. Didn't even end up playing in the park because of the wind. Cleaned banana and cereal out of Biruk's carseat and strapped the kids in and tried feeding the younger 2 again and managed to spill sweet potatos all over the carpet. Feeling extremely stressed at this point.
11:45 back on the road. Went only 30 miles and needed gas. Pulled off, filled up and somehow got back on the interstate in the WRONG DIRECTION. Drove 24 miles out of my way (equiv to a 48 mile penalty in my eyes) and fighting back tears. Babies crying off and on. Biruk developing a high fever, Conner right behind him. 5 hours into the trip and not even 160 miles traveled. Also make note that I had forgotten to put the cap back on the gas tank during this "brain fart" stop. I figure that out 290 miles later when I fill up my tank a second time.
Over the course of the next few hours I continued to stop for diapers and leg breaks. Conner and Biruk had high fevers and Landon was pissed off at the world. Finally we were less than halfway. It was 4:30 by this point and we had 280 miles left. 4 hours @ 70 mph right? WRONG. Any parent knows that you still have a LONG way to go. I have no idea how many times we stopped after this point but it involved several attempts to feed the kids and trying to calm Landon down. Finally I called Nater to meet me anywhere to give me a break. 60 miles from home we met up and all the kids had finally fell asleep. He just followed me in his car and a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. He was there if I needed him.
10:40 p.m. WE MADE IT. And a new record was set for longest trip ever. Our previous record was 13 hours. Needless to say we will not be traveling anywhere for a while. We had a great time seeing the family and I am glad we went BUT I have no desire to do it again any time soon.
The boys were troopers considering the circumstances. I am HAPPY to be home! 2 older boys just have coughs now, I am getting sick, and Landon still no signs of illness. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Have a great week! I'll try to post pics soon.
I got tired just reading that. And I find it hilarious that Conner had to stop to drop bombs TWICE in a few hours. I remember when the kid went days without pooping. Figures.
ReplyDeletewow! sounds fun!! :) sounds about like our trip to texas...
ReplyDelete:) You are a brave mommy. I'm sure you are very glad to be home.
ReplyDeleteOh Chandra!!! What a wonderful Mama you are!! Good story, the boys will like it when they get older :)
ReplyDeleteAdrienne
Seriously, Chandra, this just sealed the deal for me that I will NOT be driving to the MN picninc by myself this summer. My heart just breaks for you. You're amazing. Feel better.
ReplyDeleteOy, you poor thing. I don't know how you survived.
ReplyDeleteBut what is life, if not moments of blog fodder, right?
Wow, that sounds brutal. And brave, and well done. And very suspicioius, ha! I hope that getting to see your family made it worth the trip. It would be great if you had photos of all the things you described - the nosy snitch, the windy feeding failure, buddy on the floor again. . . why I think this would be funny I don't know. Sorry. Glad you made it home, and hope everyone is feeling better.
ReplyDeleteWoman, you are a saint. And a glutton for punishment.
ReplyDelete