Saturday, February 12, 2011

Another day...

Today was one of those days that was ordinary in every way yet so perfect because of it. Hubby & I woke to three sweet boys jumping on our bed with excitement because dad didn't have to work. And because they woke before six and played in their rooms until after 7:00 I rewarded them with homemade hot cocoa (if you still haven't tried this recipe I urge you to immediately) and waffles with strawberries & whip cream. We enjoyed our breakfast, cocoa and I enjoyed coffee while the boys played. The next few hours were spent cleaning, making lunch, and attempting three naps (all of which were a big fat FAIL). I'm not sure why I bother with the nap thing. I suppose since most nights they sleep 10.5 hours I just assume they MUST need a nap. As usual, I was mistaken. So after the attempt to nap, we headed outside to burn off some pent up energy. The boys hauled some serious booty on their scooters and hit every puddle of water they could find. Each side of the road had a constant flow of water from all the melting snow and they loved riding through it. Meanwhile, our neighbor (I like to think of him as our adopted Grandpa to the boys) chatted with me while the kids played in the street and sidewalks. We watched, laughing and talking about how great it was that they were able to be so free. After chasing each other around on their scooters they hit up the snow piles and threw snowballs at each other like they had been doing in for the past few years (I guess it's a natural instinct to make snowballs and throw them at each other). Finally, with soaking wet feet and pants we headed inside to warm up and make dinner. Dinner was followed by books, brushing teeth and bed by seven. The one advantage to our kids sleeping less is that most nights they crash as soon as their head hits the pillow.

Last night I had started installing a hitch for my Pilot when I realized the bolts weren't going to go in as easy as I had hoped. And since hubby is working his butt off at building an office over our garage and doing an awesome job I figured I'd better finish the 'hitch' project. So tonight I finished cleaning out the pre-drilled holes (filled with 7 years of rust) with some Naval Jelly hubby had picked up for me (thank you). And it did wonders. The bolts went right in with out any problems. With some assistance from hubby to hold it up, the hitch was installed in no time at all. Why a hitch? I've wanted a popup camper for the past few years and I think this will finally be the year I make it happen. I grew up camping and those trips are some of my fondest memories. I can't wait for my boys to experience the joys and peacefulness of camping!

After the hitch install I finally tackled the carseats. I had picked up a new seat for Conner so I could get three across on the second row but I couldn't get a good install. So tonight I finally tackled them. I spent a good hour installing all three kids seats and have them just the way I want them.

The Pilot. After months of searching for a smaller suv I finally found a seven year old Pilot with 77,000 miles on it for a great price. I traded in the van and never looked back. I love it! It takes up less garage space. It is way more reliable then my minivan and best of all, it has a CD player!! My van was as basic as they come with all manual options and a tape deck. For three years I missed listening to all the mixed cd's my sister Poe had made me throughout the years. So tonight I finally pulled out the six disc changer (completely new technology to me even though now it's completely outdated) and I picked some favorites and sat in my 'new' car enjoying some chill music. I put the seat back, closed my eyes and smiled. And thought about my sister Poe who is miles and miles away in Senegal, Africa. She'll be there for almost 2 more years and I'm missing her like crazy. But now, I have my music again. And every time I play my cd's I think of her. I miss you Poe!!!

Again, there was nothing extraordinary about today but it was perfect in so many ways. While the boys played today I was thinking about how thankful I am that they are all healthy. I'm thankful for my Nater. He's a wonderful father, he's quite the handy man and after 10 years hasn't stopped making me laugh. We are blessed beyond measures and so often I think about how sheltered we really are each and every day. Tonight I am thankful for an ordinary day.

4 comments:

  1. I love days like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a new car for you, and for your handy-ness and for Nate's skills (we're also building over our garage...we need to talk!). Thanks for being so thankful...makes me feel more thankful for what I have too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you went with the Pilot? Cool. We need to get a new car. The truck needs a few thousand dollars in repairs and it's got a good amount of miles on it. Plus Julie's commute is about to go way up so we need something with better gas mileage.

    ReplyDelete