It's almost midnight here in Oklahoma and I've been listening to thunderstorms all night and watching the lightning brighten the sky. I even let out a couple gasps as I witnessed the biggest and clearest bolts of lightning I've ever seen. For those of you who don't know me, thunderstorms are one of my FAVORITE things in the whole world. I love listening to the rain hit the windows, the sound of the thunder crackling and seeing the sky turn black as the storm rolls in and the blue sky disappears behind the dark clouds. This isn't typical weather this time of year and it's just one more thing that made today even more perfect.
We officially bought our 4th home (we closed on it yesterday), and we have begun our 6th move in six years. It was Jan of 2004 when Nathan and I bid Indiana farewell, packed up a truck and moved over 600 miles into our cute, 2 bed apt in Springfield. Onto a life that revolved around the 2 of us and included; happy hours, movies, riding motorcycles, late nights staying up talking with Nater, exercising, camping and sleeping in on the weekends. If someone would have told me back then that I would move 5 more times, completely overhaul a farm house with Nathan *and a 1 year old in tow*, become a mom to 3 children in less than 3 years, have 2 homebirths and travel to Ethiopia while 6 months pregnant, I would have spit my beer out of my mouth and said "you've got to be shitting me".
But, here we are are, those 6 years later, the motorcycle a minivan, happy hour no longer a drink at a bar but any peaceful hour out of my day (or 10 minutes), late night talks have become late night feedings, a body that's lost most of it's shape (MEN OR WOMEN THAT ARE EASILY GROSSED OUT SKIP TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH) and a va-jayjay that's seen better days.
That being said, there's also been the pleasure of; sticky kisses filled with love from our 3 beautiful children, hearing their laughter every. single. day., watching them embrace each other, wiping away their tears, reading them books, tucking them in each night, and the daily hugs with Nathan amid all the chaos (usually while getting smacked on the butt by Biruk and Landon trying his best to squeeze in between us).
If someone had told me 6 years ago how challenging this path was going to be, I may not have taken it. But all the sweat, tears and heartache have been worth the rewards, laughter, and love. Sometimes, it's what we don't know, that takes us the furthest.
Beautiful, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI like the twists and turns that life throws our way, don't you?
Welcome to the sixth and hopefully last home (at least for a year or so). I can't wait to see pics of the new place. It's hard to believe it's been six years (sigh) time really does fly by. I hope you had a great birthday.
ReplyDeleteKeel
congrats on the new house
ReplyDeletepity
Happy Sixth! Thanks for writing a sweet post : )
ReplyDeleteChand,
ReplyDeleteI'm sick of this place already. Let's get the hell out of here!
Nater
So excited you're in your new home! Can't wait to see it! hope all is great :)
ReplyDeleteniki
People who move more often live longer. I am not making that up.
ReplyDeleteDoug's post made me chuckle. Whew-hew for those of us who endure the pain-in-the-ass-task of moving more than we'd like.
ReplyDeleteGood post Chand! You've got a nice place there, so maybe you'll stay for a minute or so.
I didn't quite get the point on the warning you'll need to underline it next time.
ReplyDeleteI am so jealous of your t-storms. Can't wait to come see the new place, maybe take a bubble bath :)
ReplyDeletemojo