Sunday, January 04, 2009

day 4 of 2009

Today I came to the realization that I will not have my cousin (who was visiting from Ohio) or my hubby (who has been on vacation) home this week to help me out with the kids. I found myself getting overwhelmed thinking about everything that needed to be done. Which then made me hate where we live because we are separated from our family by at least one state in between us. Which in turn leads to you feeling fat because you ate too much candy and sweets the last month, which leads to feeling ugly. Oh and so on and so on. Why are my kids so clingy? Why don't they sleep? Ya know, the wah, wah wah thing that I do. But, then I refocus my mind, stare at the sweet little kids and try to get back on track. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't know why I still feel overwhelmed. I was hoping when Landon turned 6 months old things would magically become easier. I wouldn't feel so stressed and overwhelmed. But I was wrong. But it's okay. I do realize all we have to be thankful for and constantly I remind myself of these things. Yet sometimes, you just can't shake it (until of course they are all soundly asleep - for the moment that is).

Just tonight I was reminded of just a few of the many things I'm thankful for:
clean water
hot shower
our warm, cozy home
my hubby (for talking me through my crazy moods)
my kids
my trip to Ethiopia (a constant reminder of so much we have in this country)
internet
fresh air and warm sunshine

The wee one has woken up so I must go now. Happy 2009!!

8 comments:

  1. "I don't know why I still feel overwhelmed"!?! I do! I can't imagine three at the ages you've got. Completely overwhelming, I imagine. The fact that you hold it together, AND still have time to record/reflect on your blog is astounding. You rock. Happy 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'mon, Chan. If Karen could do it...

    Things have been a madhouse around here, too. Hope you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that sucks.

    Wish I were closer so I could help.

    I don't think any amount of candy or fat could ever make you ugly. Nope!

    Three kids are overwhelming no matter the age. Deep breath, lots of laughing, and a big glass of wine after they go to bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:06 PM

    I don't think your going to hit a magic number, but I don't have kids and I really have no idea.

    Hang in there, when they're 12,13 and 14 you'll remember these days.

    Keel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 2009! You're always in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um yeeaaaah, I've got one kid and I feel overwhelmed half of the time. I'm pretty sure feeling that way with three kids is perfectly normal. In fact, if you didn't feel that way, I think there would be something wrong with you. See, you are saner than you think.

    Good for you to be able to put things into perspective. That's so important to help you get through hard days. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why do you feel overwhelmed??! Because you are a mom to three very young kids, that's why! Everything you're feeling is NORMAL and if you weren't feeling that way, I'd think there's something wrong with you. Hang in there, life gets soooo much easier when your youngest turns two. (or three)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to look on the bright side. And just think - in about five years you'll be me saying, "Where did the time go?" Enjoy it, if you can. If you can't, try the six o'clock bedtime. Works wonders for a mama's soul.

    ReplyDelete