Last night I had told C (2.5 months shy of turning 7) that I would wake him for the meteor shower. I saw about 5 meteors over the course of almost three hours so I was afraid he would be disappointed. Upon waking this morning he asked me why I didn't wake him up. When I explained why he said "oh mom, it's okay if I don't see meteors I will just enjoy the stars". So I told him again that I would wake him. I waited until 11p.m. with hopes of getting a better show tonight. I was afraid he'd be hard to wake but he quickly opened his eyes, popped out of bed and I carried him out to our lawn chair, with a pillow and comforter and he laid on his back on top of my lap as we stared up at the star-filled sky. He chatted about the solar system for a long time, earthquakes, how hot the sun is, his eerily vivid memory of L's first birthday (C would have been 3 1/2 yrs old) in which L made all of us eat his gross chocolate cake off his slimy hands (C even remembered how his cake was decorated) and he kept thanking me for bringing him outside to see the stars. We only saw 2 meteors but true to his word, that didn't matter. He said it was 'just as great seeing a meteor as it was not seeing one'. He talked and talked and talked. And I listened. It was perfect! Motherhood just keeps getting better with time. Every day I'm finding more ways of appreciating it!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOkay - sorry. My comment posted twice and then deleted the whole thing. Anyway - I was just saying how my hubs and I were talking about how fun it is to hang out with the kids the older they get. I am liking this stage of parenting. ;) Hope your family is well!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet! He'll always remember that special night.
ReplyDeleteI agree. motherhood just keeps getting better. love this. love you
ReplyDeleteYou're such a good momma :)
ReplyDeleteSo sweet Chandra...what smart, and thankful kid. I love it. - Jenn
ReplyDeleteLOVE!!!!
ReplyDelete