Monday, April 12, 2010

Now or never...

It's been 3 weeks since our first camping trip of the season. It was my youngest brothers spring break so my folks drove down to Arkansas to meet us and brought along my nephew. My sister drove up from Texas with her five kids and Nathan headed out with me to enjoy the first couple nights. We had an 8 night camping trip planned and we were busting out our new tent (thankfully a cheap tent as well), warm blankets, jackets and winter hats because the weather forecast was not in our favor. The days were going to be in the 50's, nights in the 30's. Thankfully I threw in our little electric heater as a last minute thought. Nathan drove seperately so he could spend the first weekend with us and help me get set up. The weather was beautiful and we got our tent set up while the kids played in the dirt. We ate a late dinner, put the kids to bed without a fuss and enjoyed a fire while gazing at the stars. Thankfully we brought the electric heater because it dropped to the low 40's the first night and started raining around 3 in the morning. And it didn't stop precipitating for the following 48 hours. Saturday our kids spent the day in the van while we either drove around or let them watch movies. It was freezing outside and they didn't have the appropriate clothing. We set my sisters tent up and her screen room and shivered around a fire (a very pathetic fire I might add). I was so desperate to make it feel like camping that even in the cold rain I cracked open a beer and roasted a marshmallow. It helped. By evening the rain turned to freezing rain. That night after setting up my parents popup camper we decided to play it safe and stay inside with them since the weather was unpredictable. Somewhere in middle of the night the rain stopped. I was optimistic things were about to turn around until I went to sneak outside to pee and couldn't open the door because the awning had collapsed and wouldn't allow me to open it. Why you might ask??? SNOW! SNOW! SNOW! And we aren't talking flurries. It must have snowed at least 10 inches (I have the photos to prove it). While it made for a very pretty setting, it was not at all what I had anticipated. And the kids were getting a little stir crazy. Our new tent collapsed (busting the poles) from the weight of the snow, as did my sisters screen room. By this point Landon was on day two without a nap and sleeping 2 hours less per night. To say I was slightly irritable would be an understatement. All that kept running through my head was "why the hell do you like camping again?" My van was flooded with camping gear and we had crashed my parents popup. I don't like not having my own space. But we somehow survived the day and Monday we woke to warmer temps. We ventured to the store for a shovel and rain boots for my boys so they could play outside. By Tuesday it had all melted and we even played at the park and had a wonderful game of tag (my dad even played) that included me learning my bladder mixed with laughter and running is not a good combination. Wednesday was gorgeous as well but by Thursday night (when I was certain Biruk had an ear infection) I called it quits. 7 nights was enough. The rest of them held out until Saturday morning. It was great seeing my family but apparently I am only a fair weather camper who likes her own space.

After a weekend of rest we ventured out the next 2 weekends for more camping. And both trips were wonderful! One was with 3 of my siblings (which included ball tag and learning that my bladder control STILL SUCKS) and the other with Nathan's family (hiking and kayaking). I am already researching for the next trip. I hope to post pictures soon because all three trips offered a variety of beauty! Thanks to all my family for the memories (good and the bad :)! More 'adventures in camping' to come....

3 comments:

  1. You are so badass. I need to hang out and ask you lots of questions. We're planning our 1st camping with the girls trip for August, and we need a bigger tent. What one did you get? Sorry about yours by the way. I am so sad to tell you that the East Coast culture camp IS the 9th-11th. They changed it from the 23rd or whatever it was. Don't know why they don't change the website. Maybe someday we could meet in the middle somewhere and go camping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have balls. Big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, leave a camping trip early? That's so unlike you. Jk jk jk. I'm with James, you got balls.

    ReplyDelete