Saturday, September 12, 2009

Here we go again...

6 weeks ago my husband was given an opportunity to take over the OKC territory. We told our family the last week of July. It took a couple weeks for it to become official. In the meantime I started packing up rubbermaids and preparing the house for a move. We were going out of town on Aug 30th so we wanted to have the home on the market. We interviewed realtors the week before and decided on the one that wanted to "stage" the home. We sweat our butts off for about 48 hours so we could have it spotless before we left town (me secretly hoping we would get our buyer the week we were away). We pulled out Saturday afternoon, with a lock box on the door and waved goodbye, with a 700 mile trip ahead of us. The week was relaxing, and while my mind wondered to the house occasionally I tried not to give it much thought. Wednesday afternoon I got a call from my realtor saying one offer was already in on the house and a second was coming within the hour. WHAT???? The next 48 hours involved us counter-offering and moving up the closing date (since they did not put down earnest money) and then they countered with a later closing date (that would not work with Nathan's schedule) and finally I told Nathan he could be the one to worry. So Friday night I went out with Nathan, his brother and fiance and my bestest friend in the world. And we had a blast. And I did not care about what was going on with the contract on the house. Saturday my realtor called asking if I'd gotten her emails. I told her I hadn't and passed the phone to Nathan. After he hung I asked what was going on. His response "They are sticking with the original schedule and we are closing on Friday". Momentary panic attack and then I went into survival mode. We had 7 days to be out of our house. We left Conner with Nathan's folks with plans for them to meet us in Missouri on Tuesday. With the little kids in tow we made the 700 mile journey back home. The next few days involved lots of online searching for a vacation or rental home. I under estimated packing but thankfully reinforcement showed up on Tuesday night; my in laws and my cousin Bubba (who never misses our moves) and my sister Kirstyn. Nathan was in OKC looking at rental homes and thankfully liked the last one he looked at (one that I had just found online right before he left town). We agreed on a price and faxed a lease back and forth. Operation Rental Home complete! Which was a good thing because Wednesday was needed for packing (the day I was blessed with a nasty cold and cough - and of course the monthly visit from Aunt Flow). Thursday we picked up the moving trucks and it took 4 men, 4 hours to load and fill two, 26 ft trucks. We crashed at a local hotel, I spent some time relaxing with the girls and drank too much Rum and Dr Pepper) and woke at 6:30 for a full day of last minute packing, brainstorming, closing on our home, 4 hours in the van, arriving at our rental, cleaning, unloading trucks, sleeping in a twin bed with Conner & Biruk, then on a crib mattress and lastly on the sofa (it was a strange first night). Meanwhile, Nathan and his dad unloaded the trucks, Jeanne kicked butt organizing the kitchen and I was everywhere in between. The previous rentals moved out the 24 hours before we moved in so the house needed some cleaning. We love the house, we are certain we'll love the neighborhood and can't wait for what lies ahead. 2 weeks ago our home went on the market and here we are in a new town, new house and new start! Would you expect anything less from us?? I'll try to update soon!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my wow! Good luck and hang on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes! lol...so is this REALLY a good time to call you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - no moss grows on you guys. I hope you love your new adventure! Be sure to email me your new address.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:59 AM

    That's absolutely crazy Chand. Glad your feeling better, home is sold, your moved to a new house, and your closer to me:)

    We will try to make it down, not sure when.

    Also, we're having a party first weekend of Oct. Keep it in mind, it's going to be fun...

    Keel

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, i think i'll go take a nap now. just reading that exhausted me. good luck settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. whew! That is incredible. Hope you like the new locale!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:20 PM

    i am so excited for you - cant wait to come visit - post pics of the new house

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! I hope you love it in your new city!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I can't believe this. Hope you have fun in the craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy moly! That is some serious news. I am so happy it sold so fast. Crazy though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Really puts my scheudling and "I have too much on my plate" issues in perspective. Inspiring. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:53 AM

    You have been one busy girl!!
    I love your "just get it done attitude". :-))
    Good luck in the new location and enjoy the adventure. Love, Aunt K

    ReplyDelete