With my previous pregnancies I've battled cholestasis so it didn't surprise me when around 34 weeks the dreadful itching had begun. Since about 16 weeks I've been trying a regimen of warm lemon water every morning and 2 cups of dandelion leaf tea per day to hopefully keep my liver cleansed. When the itching started it wasn't as intense as it had been with J's birth so I thought it was going to be manageable. And for the next 10-12 days it was too bad. But as I neared 36 weeks the itching increased. They took my blood at 36 weeks and I barely had any itching that day so I assumed they would be slightly elevated. There is a normal range of bile acids in our blood of 0.0-7.0 and with L's pregnancy they were 42, with J's I was in the 500's (I think I may have set a record with that #) and yesterday I was informed my number, as of 9 days ago was 107 (over 100 is rare). Judging by the intensity of my itching this past week I'm sure it has only gone up. With the increase in bile acids in my blood there is a risk of stillbirth because of increased risk of meconium and that then getting into babies lungs. So they like to induce by 37-38 weeks. With J we induced at 37 weeks and it was a nightmare which ended up with us back in ER a few days after she was born and her blood oxygen levels were in the 70's due to not all her air sacs being opened in her lungs (to be fair respiratory distress could have been a result of the cholestasis). So this time around we wanted to make it closer to 38 weeks. Also, with my second pregnancy (42 bile acid) L came on his own in the 37th week. I'm hoping that is what will happen with this baby. Please keep your fingers crossed for some action in the next couple days. When they suggested a Wednesday or Thursday induction I compromised with a Saturday morning induction (I'll be 37 weeks and 6 days). Also, my parents arrive Friday night which makes it nice as well. I think I'll relax a little easier knowing the kids are in one place and I'm not burdening someone else. In the meantime we have family & neighbors who have volunteered to help with the kids which is greatly appreciated. With the itching has come some sleepless nights with ice packs on my feet, body, and hands or late night baths to try to relieve some of it. With J's pregnancy I actually kept buckets of ice water next to my bed and I'd submerge as much of my legs and arms as possible to try to numb away the itching. Well the other night I got up around 4:30 and cleaned the tub for a good soak. Around five I heard stomping around the house so I assumed hubs was up. It turns out it was J walking around looking for me. So her & I sat in the tub together and shared the sweetest little moment. She couldn't have been more endearing as she chatted away and randomly laid on my stomach. It is moments like that I do not want to be forgotten. And her brothers couldn't be sweeter. B & C have been diligent about rubbing my feet whenever I need it (L wants nothing to do with them). And the other morning C came in the room and rubbed my head until I fell asleep (this was after a night of sleeping maybe 2 hours). Anyway, I'm so thankful for considerate sons who have really stepped up to help with everything. They've been patient & extremely kind. Soon, all of this will pay off and they are going to be rewarded with another sibling to laugh with and dote on. I can't wait! In the mean time hopefully these false contractions will turn into something real and this little guy will make his entrance before our scheduled induction. Please send some birthing vibes this way! I'll leave you with some beautiful pics I took from our backyard the other day. Hubs woke me one morning at six to show me a gorgeous double rainbow over the mountains. It was worth it!
Doesn't your husband rub your feet with a smile on his face? He had better, the lousy bum!
ReplyDeleteTheir actions now is a testament to the wonderful upbringing they have had and you know there future wives and families will be very thankful for the things you have taught your children so young. Wishing you lots of contractions and a very healthy baby.
ReplyDeleteLori Erickson
Hartfiel Automation