Conner has the flu. He's thrown up five times today but the most recent was over five hours ago so I'm really hoping he's going to feel better tomorrow. Of course he also hasn't eaten anything since the one slice of toast he had for breakfast. So maybe tomorrow will still be terrible. Nathan, being the wonderful father he is, will sleep with him tonight and keep a close watch. I hate when my kids are sick. Hate it, hate it! Conner had pneumonia & RSV at 15 months old and ever since then when he gets sick, it hits him hard. And it always has us on pins & needles until the fever passes. So here's to hoping tomorrow he'll wake up feeling better. And that I can actually catch up on all the laundry waiting for me.
Biruk & Landon spent the day buddied up together since they had strict orders to not stick their face near Conner's for fear of them getting sick as well. They are funny to watch together. The way they get laughing or watching them eat a meal together. Sometimes it's joint play but other times they just sit and play side by side. At one point Landon was flipping through books while Biruk worked through three different puzzles. Biruk has a gift. He can whip through puzzles like nothing I've ever seen. And I couldn't be happier because I love putting puzzles together. He's been tackling the 24-30 piece puzzles and it's so fascinating to watch him. He picks up a piece, studdies it, and then proceeds to pair it up with another. And another. I never knew he had such attention to detail until now. Tonight we sat on the floor and put together a larger puzzle. I am hoping for many more nights of puzzles with the little guy.
Nathan & I have been tackling all sorts of projects. The biggest is the bed for our room. We got our inspiration from Knock Off Wood (farmhouse bed) and we were set on making that one until I read on the comments section about someone using 2 old doors for the headboard & footboard. So that's just what we did. I found 2 old doors on craigslist for $20/piece and we brought them home and I stripped off the old paint (most likely full of lead - oh joy). I eventually exhausted myself off the task and let them sit in the garage. Then the kids & I took a spontaneous trip back to Indiana and Nathan surprised me by building the bed. Fast forward to this weekend when I finally primed & have started to paint them. Hopefully I can reveal them soon!
My sister (with five kids) will soon be moving from Texas to Michigan. I finally live near a sibling and she's moving away (boohoo) so I'm trying to soak up as much time with her and the kids as I can before they move. So this past week we went down and visited some parks and enjoyed our time together. I will be sad to see them go!
Meanwhile, Ethiopia has been heavy on the heart. And every time I sit down to blog about it I can't get the words out. It feels so personal & too private to write about. And I'm struggling with how to help? How to make a difference? Where to give? Thinking of ways we can do without so someone else can live with.... I've got an Ethiopia Jar started so every time I want to spend $ I can instead throw it in the jar. One of the easiest ways to give is when I'm tempted to eat out instead of making dinner. But I have other areas I'm going to try to save on so the pot can continue to get bigger. More on that later...
Being healthy. It's always on my mind and I'm hoping to become more efficient at making meals that are healthy & quick. I need to do the whole cooking on Saturday or Sunday for that weeks meals. It's a work in progress and for me it's been baby steps over the years. I eat less candy, buy less process foods, eat more fruits & vegetables, etc.
We started homeschooling last week. It was so much fun. All three of the boys hopped up on the barstools and I gave them all of their sheets to work on. Conner is working on his writing & reading & art. Biruk & Landon are doing little preschool sheets (Abc's, 123's) and I should be able to teach them together. I look forward to becoming more creative, organized, scheduled and regular with it!
So that pretty much sums up this weeks journal entry. I'm assuming the few readers I have remaining are my family so I've turned this blog into more a diary of my life. I know one day this will all be a distant blur so I'd better hold onto as many memories as I can.
Thanks for sharing. It's a glimpse of a very real, raw, rambling mind of a mother. Or maybe it's hereditary?
ReplyDeleteWe'll miss you guys too. But we're looking forward to you all coming up and playing at the beach!
Hope you have a good night with Conner - talk soon.
That's interesting about the home-schooling. Although you might want to follow the link to read an article that explains why you may be better served watching SOAPS all day...
ReplyDeleteI'm still reading :-) So sorry to hear about Conner. Hopefully no one else gets sick and you're back to your normal routine soon. We need to catch up soon. Miss you!
ReplyDeleteGlad Conner is feeling better. I want to come hang out with you guys. I haven't seen you in FOREVER!
ReplyDeleteKeel
Hope Conner feels better! Stomach bugs are the worst. If you get a chance, post some pics of the bed. We've been thinking about getting a new bed and that sounds really cool.
ReplyDeleteHi there! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to comment. You're kind words mean a lot to me. :)
ReplyDeleteI am a firm believer in doing what you love in your home, and not worrying about what others think. If you want to make your suburban home feel like an old cottage, go for it!!
Thanks so much for the compliments on our floor! We absolutely love our pine floor. I love the knots, I feel like they add character. We whitewashed most of our floor, and as it ages, the knots come through, and they are beautiful! I would love to give you more details on installation and finishing. My email address is leeandbeth@gmail.com.
It's going to take more space than what I have in the comment section. :)
You have a beautiful family! Sorry your little one is sick. There is some nasty stomach bug going around here, too. None of us have got it yet, thank God. Hopefully it will skip our family.
Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Beth.
Chan-
ReplyDeleteOff topic...I have a huge huge favor...
Would you be able to email me addresses of your brothers and sisters?
I'm going to try and send Christmas cards and don't have anyone's addresses.
Thanks
Amanda
email: manda_1122@hotmail.com
Lovely, as usual. Also, think it's awesome you're starting homeschool, beautiful.
ReplyDeleteit was nice to read about your life - i feel so out of the loop over here. man, looking at the pics of the boys i cant get over how big they are getting...so crazy
ReplyDeletemiss you lots
I'm still here! I just have some catching up to do. And this is as far as I'm getting tonight because it's 1 am and Aster is sitting next to me watching Mickey Mouse. I love hearing about your life and trips and mothering. I'll be back. Hope Conner is all better and that homeschooling is going well. Once again, jealous.
ReplyDeleteI like your jar! I do that sometimes. When I am tempted to buy clothes online and almost am punching in the credit card number, I make a donation to Ethiopian Orphan Relief or some other charity. It takes the edge off.
ReplyDeleteOh eating out. The temptation.
Get better and get those pictures of the bed up already. Can't wait to see the fruits of your labor.
ReplyDelete